Ten on Tuesday: Chicago-Grand Rapids Weekend
Ten on Tuesday: 10 Things I Did Over The Weekend
I had a 4-day weekend!
1. I consider my weekend officially started on Thursday night when we drove to Chicago after work, arriving quite late but ready to go on Friday!
2. Friday was, for us, David Bowie Day! (The official David Bowie Day in Chicago was 9/23, on opening day of the DAVID BOWIE IS exhibition.)
Waiting on the steps at Chicago's Museum of Contemporary Art
The exhibit was fantastic, by the way, and made great use of technology: each person was given their own location- or space-sensitive device/headset, and the audio was specific to whatever part of the exhibit you were viewing at any given time. I usually opt out of the audio portion of the program, but this was super-cool.
Waiting to be seated for lunch
3. We had a fabulous lunch at our favorite Chicago eatery, The Purple Pig! We tried a couple of new things this time: Bobota "Greek Cornbread" with Feta, Mizithra Cheese & Honey, and Eggplant Caponata with Goat Cheese:
And we had a couple of stand-bys: Salt-Roasted Beets with Whipped Goat Cheese & Pistachio Vinaigrette (a recipe that Kate spent some time replicating... we love it so much), and Chicken Thigh Kebabs with Fried Smashed Potatoes & Tzatziki. Oh yeah.
4. On Friday afternoon, we drove to Grand Rapids, MI. Forgetting about the time zone, we arrived a little later than planned. Pesky time zones!
5. Saturday morning's lovely breakfast with Maureen (Rusty's host for the previous 19+ days), Maureen's sister & brother-in-law (who also hosted an artist), and Dona (said hosted artist) was a wonderful start to a very busy day.
Kym & I at an installation outside of BOB (Big Old Building)
6. I met Kym!! It was about as fun and enjoyable as you might expect, because Kym!
7. We spent a good part of the day enjoying ArtPrize -- and also lunch! It's a pretty amazing thing which you can read about on their site, as well as Kym's take, and Kate's too. There sure was a lot of "art talk" over the weekend!
8. Wireless connection being somewhat testy, Kate & I escaped to Starbucks on Saturday night for a little while. She caught up on blogging, and I started knitting a hat for Junah: Fourques!
“Intersections” by Anila Quayyum Agha - winner of the public vote; also winner of the jury's grand prize shared with "The Hair Craft Project" by Sonya Clark
9. Sunday began with a lovely latte, waiting in line for the museum to open, more ArtPrize, and then the Seasonal Natural Dyeing Workshop that I signed up for at Have Company. I dyed two cotton hankies, one with walnut (to which I am no stranger) and the other with tansy. I love the tansy yellow!
10. On Monday, we all came home. I drove about half of the 7-hour trip, leaving plenty of passenger time during which I finished knitting the hat! I need to weave a few ends, wash it, and make a tassel (at mama's request).
It was a darn good weekend!!
Art Prize looks marvelous as well as overwhelming! Thank you for all the pictures. With your grand adventure you packed more into your weekend than anyone!
Posted by: margene | 14 October 2014 at 06:16 PM
Your weekend was the best of all of them! So much art, so much good food and fun!
Posted by: Carole | 14 October 2014 at 06:53 PM
what a fabulous time! I feel like you had at least three weekends piled into one. it was cool to see ArtPrize from both Kym and your perspectives; y'all got some great photos! and I'm happy to see you're going to be adding more baby boy knits to my queue ;-)
Posted by: Mary | 14 October 2014 at 08:15 PM
I think you fit at least eight days of art and fun into your four day weekend! I am absolutely entranced by "Intersections" and wish I had the creativity to imagine and create something that wonderful and beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Posted by: Bonny | 14 October 2014 at 10:19 PM
What a wonderful weekend! Art, family, food, friends ... you did it all.
Posted by: Ruth | 15 October 2014 at 07:14 AM
That's a great weekend!!
Posted by: Kathy | 15 October 2014 at 01:16 PM
What an exciting weekend! We got fooled by the time zone change once, too, going to Lansing to celebrate Smokey's aunt and uncle's 50th anniversary.
Posted by: kmkat | 15 October 2014 at 03:22 PM
Looks & sounds like an all around lovely weekend for y'all! Last night I saw an article about the grand prize winner & I chuckled that I had "already seen it" here on your blog as I did a quick drive by. :)
Posted by: Amy | 16 October 2014 at 07:08 AM
I love that you enjoyed visiting my city during ArtPrize.
Posted by: AllyB | 17 October 2014 at 01:34 PM
Intersections looks like the Pandorica on Dr. Who! (#11). Lovely!
Posted by: Trisha | 20 October 2014 at 05:03 PM