I think this particular hat looks best on M. I have modified the design a bit (replacing the traveling cable and bobble patterns with one large woven cable) and am knitting it in green Plymouth Galway yarn. I like the stitch definition with the Galway yarn much better than with the Wool Ease. In all, it took about a week to knit this, with the chart learnin' and all.
This is A showing the jaunty side of Galway! This was the first time I knit something completely from a chart. It took some getting used to -- copying and pasting the charts in the right order, familiarizing myself with the symbols. All in preparation for St. Brigid in the fall!
This is the Galway Hat from Aran Knits by Alice Starmore. I used Lion Brand Wool Ease and size 6 needles (size 5 DPNs for the crown). A curly-haired K (pin curls on butt-length hair!) happily models here.
The crown was to be knit with DPNs the same size as the brim, but I didn't have them. Instead, I used a size smaller. Having been my first attempt at using DPNs in a bazillion years, I think my knitting was a little tight. Also, I picked up exactly the number of stitches that the pattern called for -- a pattern originally written for a child. I probably should have adjusted the number of stitches based on the circumference. Everyone loves it, though, and it's acceptable as is; I'll get the calculator out for the next one.
This is the second hat, knit with Galway yarn. I modified the center cable pattern, using another from the book. (Still need to post FO picture.)