I finally finished my "muslin" of the Alabama Chanin Wrap Skirt! I used three thrifted t-shirts for the main skirt pieces (one black and two mismatched-but-close green), stenciled the fabric using my airbrush and compressor set-up for the first time, and used a variety of techniques to finish.
A skirt is a tricky garment for me to wear, and I'd make mods* next time, but I was comfortable enough to wear it out to lunch yesterday!
Alabama Chanin Wrap Skirt
- (1) Black T-shirt
- (2) Green T-shirts (mismatched but close in color)
- Angie's Fall stencil, gray fabric paint (I mixed the color)
- Button Craft Thread - double strand of Black throughout
- Running stitch for construction & embellishment
- Back Panel: Black outer layer, Green inner layer; large motifs stitched, no cutting, knots inside
- Inner Front Panel: Green for both layers (same t-shirt); large & medium motifs inked & stitched inside, large motifs cut, knots outside
- Outer Front Panel: Black outer layer, Green inner layer; large motifs stitched & cut, knots inside
- All seams inside felled
- Waistband and ties using Alabama Chanin 100% organic cotton jersey fabric - Blue Slate
- Unfinished hem
*Because of my body shape, and this is whether or not I'm packing 30 extra pounds -- it's just structure/posture -- I would make an adjustment to the front (shorten) or to the back (lengthen), and probably play around with the darts a little. Some people make a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) when they sew... mine would be a Full Belly Adjustment. Haha.
In other news, the image above was included with permission in a recent Alabama Chanin Journal post about The School of Making (#theschoolofmaking)! I am rubbing Instagram shoulders with some very fine company there. Check it out... it's an inspiring community.