It's just the normal noises in here...
Ten on Tuesday: 10 Things I Miss About My Home When I'm Away
1. My own pillow and my own bed. It's not uncommon to pack my pillow when I go away -- sometimes even a nice hotel pillow is just too much -- or not enough, or too soft, or too hard (Princess & The Pea, anyone?) -- and not every place I stay has a pillow menu! I always make sure that my pillow is wearing a loud or colorful pillowcase so it doesn't blend in and is less likely to be left behind.
2. My kitchen -- knowing what I have and where everything is!
3. My coffee pot -- it goes with the above, but is a worthy line-item!
4. My... um... chair... area. There's my chair, the side table, the chest a little beyond that, and all the project bags and books on the floor around it (winter's on the way... this is insulation) -- needles, scissors, tools, some yarn -- all at-hand. The whole area is actually due for a massive clean up! (Soon.)
5. The bathroom! A creature of habit, I don't spend a lot of time fussing & primping, but I like to have my stuff just.so.
6. My shower! (6 is to 5 as 3 is to 2) Heh.
7. Mail! Granted, the mail isn't what it used to be -- actual cards and letters are rare -- but I still look forward to the daily delivery of the mail at home!
8. Our pets. Scamp, Roxie, Duncan and, now, Porter! We are well on our way to being Crazy Cat People!
9. The porches and pergola and the outdoor privacy we have at home.
10. And just the usual, the overall things that are familiar... the normal noises and bumps in the night that are unique to my home and to which I am accustomed. Even if they annoy me sometimes, at least I know what they are!
I couldn't find a clip with the intro... some scuffling, a bump or two, and a girl calling out: It's just the normal noises in here! One of my all-time favorites! And I love this song, too. That whole album -- Damn The Torpedoes. I'm pretty sure I still have that LP. And a turntable to play it on, too.
What do you miss most when you're away from home?
* * * * *
Wondering about Kate and how she's doing in Edinburgh? You can follow along on her blog, Artsy Abroad, and/or on Facebook (and/or on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram... look for the icons that interest you on the blog's sidebar).
(She's doing great!)