Ten on Tuesday: All By Myself
Ten on Tuesday: 10 Favorite Things To Do When I'm Alone
Just the other day, Katie asked, "Did you get enough time alone, Mom?"
See, Rusty was recently in Japan and, overlapping by a few days, the girls were off on their first-ever road trip together -- and I stayed home alone!
O, Happy Day(s).
I love my family and I love to spend time with them, but I have absolutely, positively, no problem whatsoever in the whole entire world spending time alone. My family has always known this. When the kids were little, and especially during the time I didn't work outside the home, Rusty knew that the nicest thing he could do for me was to take the kids for an afternoon, a day, a couple of days, a long weekend... and leave me home. Alone.
So, what do I like to do?
1. Not cook. I never (hardly ever) cook when I'm home alone. My favorite "alone" food? Cold cereal -- for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks -- especially late-night snacks (because, when I'm home alone, the nights tend to go late). Though I've all but eliminated grains from my diet, there will always be room for cold cereal! Cheerios was always my favorite, but lately I've been eating (and loving) Rice Chex more... with chopped pecans and raisins or banana or fresh berries. Yum.
2. Clean out and organize stuff. Yarn, books, closets, cupboards. I like big chunks of uninterrupted time to spread out, make, and clean up the big mess that is always a part of this process.
3. Take the frequent breaks that are also part of the above-mentioned process.
4. Turn up the volume!
5. Shop. I shop well with others, but I sometimes like to do it alone.
6. Drive! (Usually with the volume UP!)
7. Watch old movies. Just as with music, my taste in movies is wide and varied... and not always to the liking of others.
8. Putz. What? It's a thing. There's just no other word for it. One of my very favorite things to do is "putz & putter." I have been known to do it all day long, often while wearing my PJs.
9. Visit the yarn/craft store. I love to see what's new and be inspired!
10. Knit, of course!
How about you? Do you like to be alone or do you dread it?