Ten on Tuesday: Groceries!
Ten on Tuesday: 10 Ways to Save at the Grocery Store
1. Don't go.
2. Seriously. It hasn't always been this way, but lately DH has been doing most of the grocery shopping -- always with a list. Not that he's perfect; he can be impulsive and falls especially hard when pie is marketed at the front-door display, even though the ones he bakes are 100x better.
3. Ali makes regular runs to Sam's for supplies for her business and I'll have her pick up certain things for me, too.
4. I bought an eighth of grass-fed beef from a local farmer last year -- not only was it a million times better tasting, it was all right in my basement freezer.
5. My freezer is now empty, and I'm prepping my order for a quarter!
6. Stock the pantry and freezer with staples and oft-used items.
7. Though I haven't done it in ages, clipping coupons and combining them with sales and specials can save money; I don't take the paper anymore, so don't get the flyers. This was most helpful when I was in the era of diapers.
8. Buy "whole" food -- do the "processing" (trimming, peeling, cutting, slicing, cooking) yourself!
9. This year, finally, I've joined a CSA and I absolutely CANNOT wait (though wait, I must) for deliveries to begin in June!
10. Cook! Here's some help: 101 Simple Meals Ready in 10 Minutes or Less!
The way I think about food -- and everything related to food (and I've been thinking about it a LOT) -- is changing and, honestly, some of those suggestions may not "save [money] at the grocery store" but will "save" in other ways.