Ten on Tuesday: 10 Favorite Health & Beauty Products
I wish I had a picture handy to post. It's a 2-year-old me standing on my mom's dresser as she applied her "lickin," which is what I called her lipstick. In lieu of that, we have this:
Health and beauty "products" have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. While I've worn makeup most days of my adult (and many of my teen-age) (and some of my tween-age*) years, I am not, and never have been, a slave to any sort of regimen. I'm not very good at any sort of regimen and I think it's mostly because of time - and, also, I don't like to have to do things a certain way. I like to do things my way, and that way is QUICK! So anything with more than one step or with any sort of waiting period will soon fall by the wayside. I don't get my hair permed or colored for the same reason; heck, I don't even blow-dry my hair. I'm all wash-and-wear, get-up-and-go!
Not that I've never had my hair permed or colored... but I just can't stand it! I've also used lemon juice and egg on my hair, as well as mayonnaise and beer, and I remember washing my face with Tide for a while in high school thanks to some "beauty" magazine. Ouch.
Here's the "stuff" I use on a pretty regular basis these days, from the top:
1. Shampoo and sometimes conditioner. I'm a firm believer in mixing it up, so I have all sort of shampoo that I use in a very loose rotation - like, whatever I'm in the mood for today. Suave (usually Daily Clarifying), TRESeme, Aveda (Rosemary Mint or Shampure) (oh, how I love the aroma of Shampure), Sylvie L. Solid Shampoo. I use conditioner more in the winter than the summer, and only the tiniest little bit!
2. Toothpaste. Arm & Hammer - various formulations.
3. Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera 100% Gel - crystal clear. I've been using this as my main facial moisturizer for quite a few years now. Once in a while, I'll add a layer of something else.
4. Oro Gold 24K Gold Anti-Aging Eye Serum. I was totally sucked into purchasing this from a dashing and debonair Italian guy in a kiosk on the Miracle Mile in Las Vegas last May. On our first night. Yeah. I totally LOVE the stuff, though, and it reminds me of that fun trip with Sharon. My jug has nearly run dry, so...
5. Instead of the Oro Gold, I've been using Olay Regenerist Eye Lifting Serum.
6. L'Oreal Paris True Match Naturale Mineral Foundation - basically, I use it as powder. I sometimes use Cover Girl and Olay Simply Ageless Foundation as foundation, but I hardly ever do the full foundation thing, so that's mostly used as a spot concealer.
7. Estee Lauder Blush - never the same shade twice, though. Each compact lasts me so long that by the time I need to replenish, all the formulas and colors have changed!
8. Maybelline Great Lash Mascara - but not Great BIG Lash! I recently tried that and, whoa, that brush was bigger than my entire eye!
9. Eucerin Calming Creme - I've been using a sample of this and really like it, so when I saw a recent special at Walgreen's I nabbed a great big one! I also use a Lavishea lotion bar - I love using it when I'm knitting, and keep it handy. When I crawl into bed each night, always some Larry's Bee Natural Organic Lavender Lotion that I picked up in Door County - it smells so good that I'll sometimes dab a bit on my nose, too.
10. Secret Clinical Strength antiperspirant.
Interestingly, I have never been a regular user of lipstick - or lip gloss or lip balm or anything else for lips. I'll use it if I have to - and then it's usually just a swipe of regular old Vaseline - but otherwise, my lips are bare nekkid all the livelong day.
*I used to sneak into Mom's bathroom right before leaving for CCD classes to put on makeup! I'm sure the nuns were very impressed.