I started this blanket in April on a bit of a whim, made up my own rules and modifications as I went along, and finished a few days ago. While I've had the distraction of knitting/finishing/starting a few projects in the meantime, I can honestly say that there was never a dull moment with this blanket. In fact, I rather miss working on it. I had some self-imposed limitations on which yarns I could use, but there was enough room for variation and surprise and I could not wait to pick the next color! I'll admit there was some dread at the prospect of weaving in ends and also when it came time for seaming, but once I started each of those tasks, there was no turning back.
This one is all sock yarn, with some inconsistencies in weight. I used some scraps and partial skeins, had some full hanks in my stash, and bought some new; it's generally made of wool, but there's also cotton, nylon, silk, and cashmere in the mix. I knit one solitary stripe in some beautiful Madelinetosh Pashmina that Ann sent in return for a Village Knitter favor -- because it arrived that day -- and a couple of the colors are vintage Bernat yarn that I picked up a few years ago at an estate sale. I just used whatever looked good, and included some surprise bits -- hot pink, bright yellow, baby blue! Somehow, it all works.
One of my big departures from the original was the addition of a border. Because the pattern was based on an old board game, I wanted a yarn that said "old board game border" -- you know, worn and faded, black cloth tape. And I found it! Plymouth Yarn Happy Feet (color #18).
It is, absolutely, positively, hands-down, one of my favorite projects. Ever. Ever ever ever! It makes people happy. It makes ME happy!