A week late, and not the last to cross the finish line, I did the final finishing of Maddy's sweater on Sunday morning while visiting with my sister and her boys. (Note to self: it really helps to visit with someone while sewing on buttons!)
Presenting: Fitted Jacket , a pattern by Margery Winter, #2 in Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2004. I'm the only member of Ravelry to have made it, though it's in one other queue, so perhaps I won't be lonely for long.
I substituted "Kim" by Filtes King for the Berroco Suede called for in the pattern and I could not be happier -- I love that it's cotton, I love the construction of the yarn, I love the color, I love the fabric it makes, I love that it cost a way, way whole bunch less than the Suede (purchased quite some time ago from Elann). I also love that I have quite a bit left over.
The original pattern had four pocket flaps, two of them with tassels (yes, those two), and rather than a button band, there were more tassels that were used as closures (by being looped over buttons).
I did a simple garter stitch button band and employed seven buttons. I made the button holes too big, so had to crochet around each one to tighten it up and make it smaller (they're good and strong now).
The only thing I wish I'd done is add a little to the length. I love the sweater as it is, and I think it looks fantastic on her, but an extra inch or so might have been nice.