1. Okay? Right off the bat. I've been working on or contemplating this post for the better part of a day. It's been one of THOSE days at work. Actually, it's been one of the WORST ones of THOSE days that I can remember. I just need to get this done. I'm aimin' for random, I'm aimin' for eight, hopefully they'll all make sense. The mood is a rare one -- doom and gloom, anxious, nervous, tense, and jittery. It started yesterday, got worse last night, wasn't any better by morning, and went to hell in a hand-basket just before lunch. I'm a little deflated and depressed and, well, yeah. Turkey shmurkey. Good thing we're having lasagna.
Heh, now y'all probably think the other seven things are going to be a laundry list of all my worries! Nah. One of the things blogging is good for (most of the time, anyway, I try) is taking Baloo's advice to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative! Maybe I can pull a good mood out of my hat. Let's see...
2. I have 30 posts saved as "Draft." This
was is was one -- I've already diddled with the title and deleted a couple-few of the random things I'd saved, fooled with some others, so it's practically like starting over... but not. This means that I could have participated in NaBloPoMo without writing a single new post! The oldest of these drafts is dated April 29, 2005. Some of the titles make me smile. Here's a sampling:
"Get out the TV trays"
"Parental ramble with pink flowers and cursory mention of knitting"
"Something's happening here"
"What have I done?"
"Well, you know, now that..." and
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am."
Some are easy to figure out, others are more mysterious. I haven't revisited any of them. I think that last one was an ode to Major Houlihan on the heels of a TVLand M*A*S*H marathon or something. Maybe I'd had a beer. ; )
3. I'd like a beer now.
4. I'm trying to convince myself that dropping a class does not make me a failure. NOT dropping a class and failing that class... now that would be a failure. I haven't been able to make it official yet, but I'm making myself sick with the constant weighing of the pros and cons, back and forth, yes or no, sink or swim. I'm drowning over here, and this third class joining the fray at mid-semester is pulling me down. I can only do so much -- and this is TOO much. I wonder if I like school.
5. I received an email over the weekend celebrating a certain number of days that I can't remember of not smoking. It's always been the big numbers I like... closing in on 20,000 cigarettes that I did not smoke. TWENTY THOUSAND of the damned things. ONE FREAKIN' THOUSAND PACKS OF CIGARETTES which totals well over $3,000! I do believe I heard that taxes alone will be increased by $1.00/pack in my state... soon maybe? I don't care! It doesn't really concern me anymore. Anyway, I can never remember if it's been a year or two, now, closing in on three (?) since we've quit! Ann? I know it was March 17th.
6. I've had some bad, bad cravings for a cigarette in the last 24 hours. Can't remember when I had it so bad. (Don't worry. I won't.)
7. There was hardly a thing in the house when I left this morning, or so I was told. No bread, no mayo, barely any milk. I hadn't done any of my shopping for the holiday, either. The cupboards will be full upon my return, however, because Ali & Maddy came by this afternoon and picked up my list! Personal grocery shoppers!
8. I was a little distraught after class (the above-mentioned) last night, and decided to skip knitting out. If there hadn't been an asshole or two on the road that made me miss my turn and want to cry, maybe I'd have gone. I didn't have any knitting with me, anyway. I did think about going just for something to drink, a little treat, some socializing. Talked myself out of that -- didn't need the calories, couldn't imagine doing anything but whining. Well. I missed a very happy announcement! Some of the happiest news I've heard in a while. Congratulations, Ann.
Sheesh. I must be up to about 189 random things on the blog now. And I do feel a little better.