I used Lily Sugar & Cream, 7 or 8 colors from the dishrag stash, mostly leftovers. Handles are drapery tie-backs found at the fabric store -- an inspired idea that I blatantly stole from Margene. I bought two maroon and two black, using one of each color per side and staggering them so that a handle is sewn at the corner of each crocheted square -- giving lots of support for this large, heavy, cotton bag.
Going for an old-fashioned granny square look, I bordered each square with a row of single crochet in black and seamed them together (in black), I then worked a row of single crochet around each completed side.
After a failed attempt at crocheting and sewing on the gusset (it was too short), I picked up gusset stitches on one side of the bag with a long, circular needle and knit in garter stitch for 3 inches or so. I then picked up and knit the same number of stitches around the other side, and worked a three-needle bind-off to join the two sides together. Voila!
The fabrics for the double lining are upholstery and drapery remnants, chosen with the aid of my lovely daughter Alison, and they couldn't be more perfect. I shudder to think what I was considering and what I might have brought home without Ali's keen eye.
At this point, it's just an open tote -- no zipper, snaps or buttons. I'm going to use it for a little while and decide what (if anything) I'd like to do.
I got bogged down with the finishing -- as is the case with almost any project -- but I love this bag. I have not tired of the squares and the colors make me happy.
* * * * * *
Oh, now I don't remember where I found this: CNN Favorite Pastimes survey -- Knitters, represent!