The jolly guy in red
"St. Nicholas" filled the stockings tied to the stairway last night. In a very practical mood,
she left slippers for the girls and insoles for DH -- he's been complaining of sore feet. ; ) The girls each get an ornament from St. Nick every year and this year it's the angels above, which are reminiscent of just like our horn-playing tree-top angel, except that it wasn't discovered 'til the very last minute that only one of these ornaments actually has a horn -- the others have cymbals or harp!
Is it pathetic that I fill my own stocking? I don't give myself a gift because, well, I've actually been quite wild and free of late with the "add to cart" buttons -- nothing huge, but a pamphlet here, a booklet there, a magazine, a book... now I've got to find that Noro book with the Blossom vest pattern that I mentioned yesterday. It's not yarn that makes my finger twitch, it's the patterns! So, let's pretend there's a back issue or two of Wool Gathering sticking out the top there.
Coup d'Etat is off the needles! I short-rowed and did a three-needle bind off at the shoulders and there's just no other way... totally love that technique. I also did full-fashion decreases and increases throughout and I'm anxious to seam. My blocking board is already in use at the moment, but perhaps later today I can give all the pieces a bath and pin them out. It's going to be button time soon!
I saw Katie for the first time yesterday when I came home last night and she noticed that I was wearing Williamsro. Not only did she notice, she told me how wonderful it looked, that it was her favorite of all the sweaters I've made, why don't I wear it more. I proceeded to tell her/consult regarding that bottom Blossom part and she confirmed the conclusion I'd come to after wearing it for the whole day. Yes, there's the whole horizontal stripes can make anyone's anything look big, but I don't think the horizontal-ness is the problem here. Can't get much more horizontal than Fib, which is also one of my favorite sweaters, so I obviously have no issues with the horizontal. The biggest thing with Williamsro is that there are too many stitches picked up for that bottom part -- so many that it is actually distorted -- and there's no elasticity to the Cash Iroha so no resistance and it just let's itself be pulled. There's a bit of a flare, a swing -- even bulbous quality -- to that Blossom section that maybe isn't so evident in the photos, but it'll make a huge overall difference if I can find the magic number.
I think that the rest of my December knitting is going to be devoted to The Fix & Finish. I've got Shirley Shrugs and Williamsro in need of attention, there's Coup d'Etat seaming in the wings, along with a button band and many buttons to be sewn... there are buttons to be sewn on sweaters that haven't seen the light of day in so long, I'm sure you've forgotten.