Is it crunch time yet?
I just checked Stephanie's count-down clock and it's four and a half days to go, give or take a bobsled run or two. Earlier today, I was getting nervous, but tonight was very successful and, betcha by golly wow, this all just might come together.
First of all, I was able to sneak out of work a little early and stop at the LYS on the way home instead of doing it tomorrow (on my way to an oil change -- poor planning, I know, but it has to be done). I bought the buttons that you see pictured on the right; those on the left I already had and they've been earmarked
for a long time for another project, but, you know, I'm open. Both a clerk and a customer at the LYS liked the new ones over any others I'd considered (oh, some really cute square ones!) because the design kind of echoes the cables. I really like them both. I really, really like the ones I already had, but fear they may be just a tad too small. You can click to make the pictures big, and then click again to leave me a comment and let me know if you have a preference. ; )
Please ignore the curly button band, it has yet to be
beaten into submission blocked. Have I mentioned how beautifully both of these yarns block? How absolutely thrilled I am to discover that the most delicious yarn I've ever worked with can become even better? The yarn is definitely doing its personal best.
So, at least having some buttons makes me feel better, and I also picked up a couple more hanks of the Blossom. I'd rather have too much than too little -- I've got a lot to do and only just over three yarn cakes with which to do it. I bought the original stuff on ebay (my LYS didn't carry it at the time and the stuff I bought in NYC -- which I don't regret for a second, Cara, and have a use in mind -- was the wrong color) and it was already wound up, so I really didn't know how much was there. Anyway, it's likely that I'll need only one, if any. I also picked up a 13 US circular needle -- I'm going to need it for knitting the Blossom bands on both the collar and the bottom of the sweater.
What I really needed to do tonight was tear out two shoulder seams, rip and re-knit both shoulders on the back (making the neck wider and the shoulders narrower to match those on the fronts), rip and re-knit one shoulder on the front (I had decreased 3 rather than 5 at one armhole), and then re-seam the shoulders so the cables lined up. At left, you see the ugly before, and at right, the much more beautiful after. Thank you, exalted Zen Master, for sharing your wisdom and guidance.
I'm afraid there are some, such as Christine, who are struggling. They're feeling the burn and it's all they can do not to wander aimlessly between venues. (Our fearless leader is in a whole other, stratospheric class here -- I can't even imagine the burn she's feeling...) And that's another thing I like about these Knitting Olympics: I am compelled to employ and and exercise my stick-to-itiveness, to stay focused and on-task. In this situation, I would have much rather let Williamsro stew than fix all that stuff -- at one point, my thoughts actually wandered toward "scissors" and "how could I cut off a couple of stitches at the edge"; I would much rather have started a sock (or anything). It feels wonderful to have persevered and I'm energized to see this through. I'm visualizing!!